Back in the days of editing and producing on video tape decks, one of the handy techniques available with some slow-motion video decks in combination with dedicated slow motion video deck controllers was the ability to set several marks during a play, and to be able to start a replay from any of the selected marks. This workflow can be used in the 3Play as well, and offers a number of advantages, especially during long plays where the operator will need to select just a portion of the play for playback.
If using the 3Play 330, an early model in the 3Play line, precursor to the current models, the unit operates exactly as needed without adjusting the settings. For more recent models, the user will need check below the One Button Marking menu for the Out Point Padding setting and ensure it is set to “Infinity.”
An example of this workflow would be with football, during a kickoff or a pass play: the operator can mark “IN” at the first desired point and immediately mark “OUT,” followed by another “IN” at the next desired point and another immediate “OUT,” and so on. The 3Play does not stop at the “OUT” points marked when doing the replay, so these marks allow the operator to quickly go to a particular place in the play without having to jog or use the + or – keys to find the locations, and to start a replay from any of the marks.
This technique allows you to do just the right replays to give the audience the critical portions of the play action, and with a little practice provides for a precise, effective, yet very flexible replay workflow.
Our thanks for this tip go to 3Play 330 user Bob Bailey, from Texas, submitted via the NewTek forum!
Our thanks also to John Strauch, Mid-Valley Media, Inc, for the information on using the workflow with later 3Play models.
Just in case you were wondering what those numbers on the 3Play 330 UI pic at top are all about:
3Play 330 Interface Guide:
- REPLAY INTERFACE is the control center for your 3Play 330 production. Connect up to three HD or SD cameras, audio sources, and the included 3P-10 control surface to manage recording, playback, clip marking, playlist creation, and more.
- ONE-BUTTON RECORDING simultaneously captures video from up to three cameras. 3Play 330 also supports automatic recording (activated by performing select operations).
- INPUT MONITORS let you view the live action from every angle, with interactive, full field rate displays.
- OUTPUT MONITORS include a large monitor for Main Output and preview monitors that show the three video channels available for playout. In 3-Out mode, 3Play 330 outputs all three angles. In 1-Out mode, a single camera angle can be selected for output or camera angles can be switched live for multi-angle playback.
- EVENT PANEL offers a master list and custom lists for quick and easy access to all available clips (or events) for immediate playback. Clip notes can be entered for each event, allowing you to find and replay highlights – instantly.
- CUSTOM LISTS let you organize events, create highlight reels or arrange selected events for sequenced playback, using color-coded tabs with customizable labels.
- INTERACTIVE DASHBOARD lets you perform the functions of the 3P-10 control surface from the replay interface, using on-screen controls that include playback speed presets, mark in, mark out, and transport.
Learn more about Slow Motion and Instant Replay
Learn more about Sports Production Solutions